The Steuben County Communications Center is the 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for all of Steuben County’s police, fire and EMS providers. Our professionals:
- Answer 9-1-1 calls and provide emergency medical pre-arrival instructions to callers, dealing with everything from CPR to childbirth. In addition, our team is trained to question callers to get information vital to better prepare responders upon their arrival and work with callers to safely de-escalate the situation while they’re en route.
- Receive non-emergency calls on 12 incoming trunks.
- Receive and respond to 911 text messages.
- Monitor and respond to nearly three dozen radio channels.
- Dispatch and handle radio traffic and requests from:
- Steuben County Sheriff’s Department
- Orland, Fremont, Ashley, Hudson, Clear Lake and Hamilton police departments
- Ashley, Fremont, Orland, Metz, Pleasant Lake, Salem, Hudson and Helmer fire departments
- Steuben County EMS
- Department of Natural Resources for Steuben County
- After hours answering for Steuben County Highway Department, Indiana State Highway (INDOT), Child Protective Services (CPS) and Steuben County REMC
- Steuben County Underwater Recovery Team
- Run queries to check for wanted persons, vehicles and property
- Monitor county premise alarms
- Process residential and business alarm applications
- Monitor weather systems and alert departments of potential severe weather
To accomplish all of this, the center utilizes a number of high tech systems. These include CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch and mapping), Indiana Data and Communications System (IDACS), computerized 911 and telephone system and the OpenSky radio system.
The greatest asset to the communication center is our staff. This dedicated team works a varying schedule of twelve hour shifts, which include days, nights, weekends and holidays. All are trained in every aspect of the job, and are certified Emergency Medical Dispatchers; additional training covers handling a variety of caller personalities, fire and police dispatch techniques, and a wide range of other topics.
This is just an overview of the challenging duties carried out on a daily basis. Events such as storms, fires, a protracted or intense law action or major accident add extra challenges that we strive to rise above.